In this episode, I talk with Van Burgess who is a former pro hockey player who played some of his minor hockey in New Brunswick and met his wife Kristi, a former college softball player, in Huntington, WV during his first year of pro hockey.
Together they have raised two incredible sons, one who is attending Miami of Ohio University and the other who recently signed a D1 baseball scholarship with a big D1 school.
So what are the secrets to raising kids who are athletes, who are completely different and interested in different paths? This family has done a great job.It’s a hard subject to convey because the recruitment process is different for every kid. But the message of “there is a school out there for you to be a student-athlete” is 100% true and that needs to be the theme. Click To Tweet
Listen to discover:
- Best burgers, fries, and gravy in Miramichi, NB
- Van’s path to professional hockey
- What ECHL record does he still hold? See Van’s stats here.
- How they handled their boys playing hockey in Lexington, KY
- When their son decided to specialize in baseball
- What grade he recommends you should start looking at colleges after been through it
- His take on college showcases/events
- How he thinks young Maritime student-athletes can get noticed by college coaches
- How working with a recruiting firm helped their son get noticed